Weed Eater Operator’s manual
WARNING: Read and follow all Safety Rules and Operating Instructions before using this product. Failure to do so can result in serious injury.
If conducting maintenance on a Weedeater please check out our repair videos for a how to guide on routine maintenance and repairs.
When using gardening appliances, basic safety precautions should always be followed to reduce the risk of fire and serious injury. Read and follow all instructions.
This power unit can be dangerous! Operator is responsible for following unit and manual instructions and warnings. Read entire Operator’s Manual before using unit! Be thoroughly familiar with the controls and the proper use of the unit. Restrict the use of this unit to persons who read, understand, and follow unit and manual instructions and warnings. Never allow children to operate this unit.
Never use blade, wire or flailing devices. This unit is designed for line trimmer use only. Use of any other accessories or attachments will increase the risk of injury.
WARNING: Trimmer line throws objects violently. You and others can be blinded/injured. Wear safety glasses and leg protection. Keep body parts clear of rotating line. Safety glasses or similar eye protection risk of injury.
Keep children, bystanders, and animals 50 feet (15 meters) away. If approached, stop unit immediately. If situations occur which are not covered in this manual, use care and good judgment. If you need assistance, contact your Authorized Service Dealer or call 1-800-554-6723.
– Always wear safety eye protection.
– Always wear long pants, long sleeves, boots, and gloves. Wearing safety leg guards is recommended. Do not go barefoot or wear sandals. Stay clear of spinning line.
– Secure air above shoulder length. Secure or remove loose clothing or clothing with loosely hanging ties, straps, tassels, etc. They can be caught in moving parts.
– Do not operate this unit when you are tired, ill, or under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or medication.
– Wear hearing protection if you use this unit for more than 1 1/2 hours per day.
– Never start or run inside a closed room or building. Breathing exhaust fumes can kill.
– Keep handles free of oil and fuel.
How to Care for and Use a Weedeater Trimmer
– Disconnect the spark plug before performing maintenance except carburetor adjustments.
– Look for and replace damaged or loose parts before each use. Look or and repair fuel leaks before use. Keep in good working condition.
– Replace trimmer head parts that are chipped, cracked, broken, or damaged in any other way before using the unit.
– Make sure unit is assembled correctly as shown in this manual.
– Make carburetor adjustments with lower end supported to prevent line from contacting any object.
– Keep others away when making carburetor adjustments.
– Use only recommended WEED EATER accessories and replacement parts.
– Mix and pour fuel outdoors.
– Keep away from sparks or flames.
– Use a container approved for fuel.
– Do not smoke or allow smoking near fuel or the unit.
– Wipe up all fuel spills.
– Move at least 10 feet (3 meters) away from fueling site before starting engine.
– Stop engine and allow to cool before removing fuel cap.
– Use only for trimming, mowing, and sweeping. Do not use for edging, pruning, or hedge trimming.
– Inspect the area before each use. Remove objects (rocks, broken glass, nails, wire,
etc.) which can be thrown by or become entangled in line. Hard objects can damage trimmer head and be thrown causing serious injury.
– Keep firm footing and balance. Do not overreach.
– Keep all parts of your body away from spinning line and muffler. Keep engine below waist level. A hot muffler can cause serious burns.
– Cutting with the line on left side of the shield will throw debris away from the operator.
TRANSPORTING AND STORAGE
– Allow the engine to cool; secure unit before storing or transporting in vehicle.
– Empty the fuel tank before storing or transporting the unit. Use up fuel left in the carburetor by starting the engine and letting it run until it stops.
– Store unit and fuel in an area where fuel vapors cannot reach sparks or open flames from water heaters, electric motors or switches, furnaces, etc.
– Store unit so line limiter cannot accidentally cause injury. Unit can be hung by the tube.
– Store the unit out of the reach of children.
If situations occur which are not covered in this manual, use care and good judgment. If you need assistance, call 1-800-554-6723.
This unit is not equipped with a temperature limiting muffler and spark arresting screen which meets the requirements of California Codes 4442 and 4443. All U.S. forest land and the states of California, Idaho, Maine, Minnesota, New Jersey, Oregon, and Washington require by law that many internal combustion engines to be equipped with a spark arrestor screen. If you operate in a locale where such regulations exist, you are legally responsible for installing and maintaining the operating condition these parts. Failure to do so is a violation of the law. If a spark arrestor is required in your area, contact your Authorized Service Dealer for the proper kit.
Exposure to vibrations through prolonged use of gasoline powered hand tools could cause blood vessel or nerve damage in the fingers, hands, and joints of people prone to circulation disorders or abnormal swellings. Prolonged use in cold weather has been linked to blood vessel damage in otherwise healthy people. If symptoms occur such as numbness, pain, loss of strength, change in skin color or texture, or loss of feeling n the fingers, hands, or joints, discontinue the use oft is tool and seek medical attention. An anti-vibration system does not guarantee the avoidance of these problems. Users who operate power tools on a continual and regular basis must monitor closely their physical condition and the condition of this tool.
WARNING: Make sure your unit is properly assembled and all fasteners are secure.
ADJUST THE HANDLE
– Loosen wing nut on handle.
– Rotate handle to upright position and tighten in a comfortable position between the trigger and the safety label on the tube. Tighten handle securely.
ATTACH THE SHIELD
WARNING: The shield must be properly installed. The shield provides partial protection from the risk of thrown objects objects to the operator and others and is equipped with a line limiter which cuts excess line. The line limiter (on underside of shield) is sharp and can cut you. Assemble your shield (Style A or Style B) as shown.
– Insert bracket into slot in shield. Tighten securely.
– Assemble parts as shown; Tighten securely.
NOTE: Remove and use washer and wing nut from this bolt for assembling shield.
FUEL YOUR UNIT
This engine is certified to operate on unleaded gasoline. Gasoline must be mixed with a quality 2-cycle air-cooled engine oil designed to be mixed at a ratio of 40:1.
Poulan/Weed Eater brand oil is recommended. (A 40:1 ratio is obtained by mixing 3.2 ounces of oil with 1 gallon of unleaded gasoline). When mixing fuel follow the instructions printed on the container. Always read and follow the safety rules under FUEL SAFETY.
HOW TO STOP YOUR UNIT
Push and hold engine stop switch in the STOP or OFF position until the Weed Eater unit has fully stopped.
How to Prime and Choke Your Weedeater Trimmer